June 25, 2010

To Infinity And Beyond.



I suddenly reminisced about my childhood. Toy Story was the first Pixar movie that I fell in love with. For all my life, Toy Story always had a special place in my heart. I still remember having a Woody back then with Andy’s name inked on his boot. After eleven years, the third installment finally came out in theaters. All I can say is that it was worth the eleven years of wait. My generation grew up with Andy and his toys. There were a countless number of moving elements and scenes that arouse every conceivable emotion. It was comical, scary and heartbreaking. Family is another element that was stressed throughout the film. The toys stick together no matter what they encounter. The last twenty minutes of the film left me in tears. [spoiler alert] It captured how hard it is to let go of the things we love the most. I was very moved when Andy introduced his toys to Bonnie, the little girl. “Jessie loves little critters. Bullseye is her favorite 'critter.' Mr and Mrs Potato Head are madly in love. The three green aliens come from a strange place called Pizza Planet. Hamm will save your money, but is also 'The Evil Dr Porkchop.' Rex is a fearsome predator. Slinky is as loyal as they come for a dog. Buzz Lightyear is a cool space ranger who flies, shoots lasers, and protects the galaxy from the Evil Emperor Zurg.” And then came the best and most touching line of the entire film. “Woody is no ordinary toy. He's brave. But the thing that makes Woody special is that he'll never give up on you. EVER." I remembered ‘Tuesdays With Morrie’ by Mitch Albom during this scene. “Sacrifice! We all make them. It's part of life. It's supposed to be, not something to regret. Sometimes, when we sacrifice something precious, we're not really losing it. Rather, we're just passing it on to someone else.” Andy said a final “thank you” to his toys and left. He knew a great part of his childhood was due to the fact that he had great toys. As Andy drove away, Woody whispered, “So long, partner.”


 This is definitely the best animated film of the year. Thank you Pixar and to everyone who has been part of making the three movies. Thank you for changing my life since I was four. Thank you Toy Story.



No comments:

Post a Comment